Sunday 14 April 2013

White chocolate brownies - easy recipe

I’ve somehow managed to convince myself that white chocolate is the lesser of the chocolate evils and I can therefore eat as much of it as I like. So cakes made with white chocolate are better for you, especially if they contain some sort of nuts because they’re healthy, right?

I think this rationale stems from my eldest sister who for many years didn’t eat chocolate at all as a rule – accept for white chocolate which she said contained different ingredients that weren’t as addictive. I’ve been through the ‘dark chocolate is good for you’ stage and I do believe there is some truth in this, but it’s just not the same is it?!!
 

I invited my dad round for a brew this afternoon, which meant only one thing – I had to get baking. He's well known for his sweet tooth and it’s actually quite ridiculous (when he gets offered cream, ice-cream or custard with his sticky toffee pudding he asks for all three – that kind of thing) and I blame him completely for my addition to chocolate and cakes.

It’s become kind of an unwritten rule that when he comes to our house, I will make him cappuccinos and must have cake or biscuits to offer (as the three sugars in his cappuccino aren’t enough to satisfy his sweet cravings.)

These brownies are really easy to make and a nice alternative to the usual chocolate brownies. They’re more ‘cakey’ and less gooey but they’re really good, so much so that my dad ate three in a row and Paul had two (I've been picking at them all afternoon as lost count of how many I've eaten!) 

Pop them in the fridge in a cake tin and they’ll keep for a few days, but I doubt they’ll last that long.

Ingredients
115g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing the tin
115g light soft brown sugar
115g self-raising flour
2 eggs
225g white chocolate
115g walnut pieces

Method
Lightly grease a square cake tin (approx 18cm) with the spare butter and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Roughly chop the walnuts and 175g of the chocolate. Put the rest of the chocolate and the butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt. Set aside to cool slightly.
Whisk the eggs and the sugar together in a large bowl then beat in the chocolate and butter mixture.
Fold in the flour, chopped chocolate and walnuts before placing the mixture into the prepared tin and smoothing down.
Place the tin into the oven for around 30 minutes and leave to cool before slicing into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment